Sunday, February 12, 2012

Downtime


On the way back to our cars after the New Year' day 200k, I mentioned to Joe K. that I was going to dial back the riding back for a few weeks. Just ride casually "off the clock." 


In the weeks since then, I ran more days than I rode. Actually "running" is an overstatement. Jogging describes it much better - jogging with occasional faster jogging mixed in. I jogged more days than I biked. I went to the gym to lift things up and put them down. I took the fixie to work a few times and rode the folder home a few times and let Esmeralda, my rando-bike, sit. 

Enthusiasm took root in the interlude. One day, I complained to my wife that it had been a really long time since I rode my bike - she laughingly reminded me that I rode to work and back the day before. Another day, I took pictures during my ride into the office on the weekend. I found myself checking out the bikes on cyclofiend. Recently, I took out the calendar and started penciling in the schedule of local RUSA rides for the upcoming season. Adding each date and distance brought a small surge of excitement and anticipation. One of my biggest inspirational founts is the challenge of capturing a ride in words or images. So I started a regular blog feature I call "Friday writings for Randos," where I plan to share the work of some writers that I link to some aspect of the rando experience, even if that was not the author's intent. Stuff that's best read out loud - slowly. So far maybe 12 people have read the two entries. That's okay, I get that asking folks to think about something I think about is asking a lot. Who knows, it may catch on. Until then I'll read the words aloud, think about them and be inspired.

Today is February 12, 2012. Its been six weeks since my last brevet. I think I needed the downtime to give enthusiasm a chance to grow even deeper roots before taking on the challenges of the next riding season. But last night I dreamed of riding. I woke looking forward to my next two wheel adventure. My R-23 ride is just a few days away and starts with a road trip . . .

2 comments: