Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Writings for Randos - A Raccoon

{Friday Writings for Randos - A weekly post that features pieces from other writers that touch some facet of the Randonneuring experience, even if that was not the author's intent. It's stuff that's best read out loud - slowly.} This week it's  . . . 

A RACCOON
by Siv Cedering Fox
A RACCOON

lies broken
on the broken line of a road. Like
the car that killed it. I speed by.


My eye
has sighted the plight of the small
and pointed face, and blinked

at the pink
entrails that trail from its belly. But
it is the paw that makes my mind stare.

What is there
that makes the paw reach up? and the five
fingers at the end of the reach, bend

like a hand?
They say that animals are our innocence,
what we were before Eden and the Fall.

Though I cannot understand it all,
I stay on my side of the broken line
that divides the going, from the coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment