Saturday, March 8, 2014

First Friday Writing For Randos: Today

{First Friday Writings for Randos - A monthly post that features pieces from other writers that touch some facet of the Randonneuring experience, even if that was not the author's intent. It's stuff that's best read out loud - slowly.} This month it's a poem by Mary Oliver.


Today

Today I'm flying low and I'm 
not saying a word.
I'm letting all the voodoos of ambition sleep.

 The world goes on as it must,
the bees in the garden rumbling a little,
the fish leaping, the gnats getting eaten.
And so forth.

But I'm taking the day off.
Quiet as a feather.

I hardly move though really I'm traveling
a terrific distance.

Stillness. One of the doors 
into the temple.

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to read Mary Oliver ... excellent, thanks.

    ReplyDelete