Wednesday, May 7, 2014

First Friday Writing for Randos - It was a good ride.

{First Friday Writings for Randos - A monthly post that features pieces from other writers that touch some facet of the Randonneuring experience, even if that was not the author's intent. It's stuff that's best read out loud - slowly.} This month it's an anonymous  comment posted by a Randonneur in response to a blog post about the 2014 PA 300K Bevet which was, by all known accounts, a bit of a challenge:


I don't know if my sin was a deadly one yesterday but I lied to myself twice - 
blamed a well aged prostate for needing a bio break half way up Millbrook and then 
I lied again when I pretended not to be able to mount on a 15% grade, 
then used my 24 inch gear, 
which indeed 
was not much slower than riding. 

First time that I ever walked a hill while cycling and 
that one is not a lie. 

It seemed particularly evil when the clouds opened and the sun glared down on my parched lips and all I could think of was how badly I wanted relief, 
any kind, 
just give me relief. 

Aside from earlier bonus miles, the icing on the cake was the stretch 
all the way down the Musconetcong Watershed. 

I used to live in that area and know the roads like the back of my hand and I was licking my chops at the prospect of a fast easy go from there down to the big River 
until 
20 mph headwinds from the weather front made 13 mph a challenge 
but at least 
the drenching rain in the final stretch cleaned the bonus mile mud from the bike, 
so, 
it was a good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment