Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sabina

Today, I sat through the opening statements of a murder trial. Sabina, the young woman whose life ended in an act of senseless brutality, was the daughter of my friend, a friend to my children, a child who was as welcome in my home as any member of my family.

Listening to an opening statement in a murder trial is not like listening to a eulogy. At a trial, death, not life, is the focus, and Sabina was so full of life.

Life is short, precious and fragile. Enjoy it. Live it. Treasure it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to read that such brutal tragedy hit so close to home. All the best to Sabina's family and friends. I hope the trial outcome holds those responsible to account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of what to say, but clicking away silently isn't it. That these things happen is too much. I hope the trial provides all who knew her with something more than just renewed pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iron Rider, I'm so sorry for this horribe loss ... for you, your family, her family and the entire community there. Can only echo Keith above, there is nothing I know of to say that can help. But saying nothing feels so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words. The trial is just the trial. When/if her murderer is convicted then it just will mean that the jury followed the overwhelming evidence of his guilt. Hopefully the trial will not be the last word on her life and its remembrance. She deserves better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: Based on the overwhelming evidence, the jury convicted the murderer and the judge sentenced him to life without parole followed by 40-80 years.

    http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-09/news/31642344_1_guilty-verdict-life-sentence-murder

    ReplyDelete