Wednesday, June 2, 2021

After the shutdown: Renaissance Athlete.

What a long strange year. My mom passed away in September 2019 after months of a steady, rapid decline in health. Then, in early 2020, while still getting my mind around the reality of living in a world without her, the world itself took a turn for the worse as the coronavirus literally went viral, spreading rapidly around the world, shutting down business, separating people, limiting travel, creating social distance. Social upheaval: protests, political chaos, erupted. It seemed like the fabric of society itself was being stretched thin. The virus is not quite done yet but, it seems, I hope, that the worst of it is behind us. Emerging from the shut down brought on by the coronavirus -Covid-19- and the world is a different place. There is so much to unpack; it's going to take a while.

I feel like I need a new start, a re-centering of self. Prior to March 2020, my last brevet was PBP in August 2019. In March 2021, after a month of hourly rides, I completed a 200K but did it more on memory and will power, than on any kind of Randonneuring fitness. It was something but not quite the re-start I needed. 
 
Renaissance is a French word meaning “rebirth.” A Renaissance man is understood as someone who has wide breadth of knowledge and skills. Coming out of the darkness of the last year or so, I want to re-enter the world as a Renaissance athlete, one who enjoys a wide breadth of fitness and, is so doing, find a greater appreciation in the fullness and possibilities  of life. 

The first step in regaining a breadth of fitness is dealing with the reality of being a 50 something year old with achy knees and more weight to lose than I care to have. But that's OK. We can only start where we are and go from there. 

I'm starting here and I'll post some thoughts images here and on Instagram @ironrider6245. I hope to capture some of process and maybe do some unpacking along the way ... for those who may be interested.

4 comments:

  1. Wise words, indeed. I feel like my head is still spinning from the past 15 months or so. I have so many things I want to do and learn, yet it's so hard to start no matter how motivated I might feel.
    After a year of race cancellations, 2021 started out strong and I had epic plans for the fall. I ran four shortish races in six weeks, and all seemed right with the world again until I took a nasty spill in a trail race a few weeks ago and shredded my patellar tendon and tore what was left of my cartilage. I had surgery last week and the recovery time looks to be longer than I would like.
    Get back at it, enjoy every moment, deal with the pain, and be thankful for wherever it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry,
      Thanks for the note. Sorry to hear about the spill and surgery. Dealing with unexpected setbacks has become one of the realities of this phase of life. Your advice to "Get back at it, enjoy every moment, deal with the pain, and be thankful for wherever it takes you" are wise words indeed.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your honesty, losing a mom is definitely a low point. 2020 was tough for everyone, so glad to hear you're emerging and taking care of yourself. Pedal onward.

    ReplyDelete