Tuesday, September 27, 2011

N + 1 - Fixing what ain't broke.



According to Rule #12 -  "The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."


This is my latest "+1," a 2009 Raleigh One-Way that I picked up on deep discount at REI. It's a fixed gear on a cyclocross geometry 4130 chromoly frame. It is much more road bike than track bike and I can run wide tires- both qualities that I like. In fact, it came stock with 35mm Vittoria Randonneurs. It also came standard with an "aged" Brooks saddle, Lezyne Road pump, SKS Fenders and even a bell.  Other than swapping the seat for a Brooks Swallow that I picked up on e-bay, changing the 175 mm cranks to 170mm, the bike is currently stock. I plan to ride it as a fixed gear during the off-season, ideally as a commuter, and see where that takes me.

Since this is my first foray into fixed gear riding, I've been seeking tips, tricks and insider information to accelerate the learning curve. If you have any, contributions are welcome. 






No comments:

Post a Comment